Skip to main content

Coast to Coast 2013

Its the silly little mistakes that cost you the most. This is the biggest thing I learnt after my first year racing at the Speight's Coast to Coast as a 2 day individual. After a great build up I was feeling pretty confident coming in to the race knowing I was capable of achieving a pretty good result.

As always the nerves on Kumara beach were high as I stood around with the other competitors waiting for the horn to blast which would signal the start of our journey across the South Island  to Sumner beach. My 3km run off the beach went pretty good placing me in the top 20 and in a good position to be in the front bunch on the bike with many of the other top 2 day individuals. Unfortunately even though this bunch was full of the top guys in the event we didnt work together well and ended up getting caught by a large bunch in the last 10km of the 55km ride. This bunch also happened to have my dad in it much to his delight as he casually rode past me to take a turn on the front of the bunch. Heading in to the run transition I knew I had alot of work to do on the run to ensure I didnt lose too much time to the top runners.


Heading up the valley I pushed too hard trying to pull away from my dad who was always within 500m of me until near the top of the valley. Once I was past Goats pass hut and started the run down the valley to the finish I knew I had blown. I was reduced to a walk as my legs cramped up and I tried to get food and fluids in to me. Pushing too hard from the start and a lack of electrolytes and mix of food had cost me and my legs never recovered until the finish at klondyke corner. I finished the first day in 25th place in open men, disappointed at my silly mistakes which had cost me alot of time during the run. I knew the next day would go alot better for me though since my cycling and kayaking is alot stronger than my running.

As soon as I put my leg over my bike the next morning I knew I was going to have a good one. I dropped everyone in my start group pretty quickly and pushed myself through to the kayak transition with noone in sight. A fast transition thanks to my support crew and I was off racing down the river and pulling back the time I had lost the previous day. With the race being my 18th trip down the waimak for the season, I knew every line on the river and reached the top of the gorge faster than the shocked officials were expecting, with the check points and safety crews still setting up on the river. It was exciting to be leading the paddle all the way from Mt White bridge to just before Woodstock. Unfortunately at this stage I ran out of drink and food which meant the last section of the river took me around about 15-20 minutes longer than it normally would and I was eventually passed by a few team paddlers and Mitch Munro (2nd Open men). I arrived into Gorge bridge as the 6th paddler and the 2nd individual, with my actual paddle time ending up being the 9th fastest on the day.
 
Jumping on to the bike was where it became apparent that being one of the first off the river becomes a disadvantage as I rode all of the way into Christchurch with only Brendon Ross (1st Veteran men) for support. The ride ended up being pretty hard for both us with a head wind for most of the ride and no one else to help share the work with. The support for both of us was amazing though with lots of people lining the streets to encourage us on to the finish. Crossing the finish line at Sumner was one of the best moments of my racing career yet as I knew I had tried my best and the day had pretty much gone to plan. It also helped that I beat my dad overall by 5 minutes. In the end I was 16th Open men and 21st Overall. Not exactly the result I was hoping for or knew I was capable of but all of my splits were fairly positive apart from the run. Next year I will be back with more experience and will hopefully redeem myself from the silly mistakes I made this year. Thanks to my Parents for paying my entry fee, my support crew for getting through the race and everyone else who I trained with and supported me through the weekend.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue