Skip to main content

SCMBC 4x2

Little events like these end up being the gems that you have to compete at year after year. This one will certainly be one of those, especially with an entry fee of only $31.50! (Take note other race organisers). Anyone who has ridden in Timaru will know how fun the trails are, especially for longer races like this one or the Timaru 10 hour. Unlike last weekend, I would certainly recommend this event to anyone. As a bonus the South Canterbury Mountain Bike Club use the funds for trail building so it's a win win for us riders! It's just ashame that after several weekends in a row of racing, I was only able to enjoy 2 hours of racing rather than the full 4!

The course was great fun for this length of time racing, the competition was crazy fast (just look at the results to see how dominant Tim Rush was...), and the weather was perfect. I probably should have been a little less relaxed about the start, as you can see from the photo, you can barely see me! I certainly don't have anything good to say about my start this week, I must have used up all the magic last week!



Unfortunately last weekends efforts at Redzone 6 aggravated my wrist injury from Tekapo last year and it left me with a seized numb hand all week. Not the most enjoyable and I was half debating whether I should have even raced but figured I'd stick my wrist brace on and see how things went. As the intro alluded to, I pulled out halfway through, but I'm not disappointed. I would rather pull out and still enjoy watching the racing than push through and be back to square one again.

All things going well my next race will be in Hanmer (wrist dependent) and then finish off the season in Naseby. I really want to be on the start line in Naseby after missing out last year due to the same wrist injury!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue