Skip to main content

Motatapu Multisport

To complete my racing for the season I decided to head down to Wanaka for the Motatapu Multisport race. This was the second year this event was run, with last year being a test event with only a few selected people invited to race. The race begins with a 15km kayak down the Matukituki River, a 53km mountain bike over a ridge and through the Motatapu bike course and then a 15km run over the Miners Trail run. 46 people lined up to race this year with many top Coast to Coasters (both 1 day and 2 day) and Multisport Legend Steve Gurney.

The 15km kayak started with a hectic mass start on the river with everyone was lined up on the bank waiting in their kayaks for the start. I had a pretty bad start, with several people around me getting a push off the bank in front of me. Because the Matukituki River was fairly shallow and narrow in places it took me awhile to work my way through the field and pass the slower paddlers (my dad included) that had got in front of me at the start. I knew I had a big day ahead of me so I didn't push the kayak too hard and worked myself up to the top 10 by the time I got to the end of the kayak stage. I was pretty pleased to be finishing the kayak with Mitch Munro who had placed 2nd at Coast to Coast in the 2 day event (I was 16th).



After what felt like a very long transition, it was then on to the mountain bike and pushing up the road towards the ridge. I had been told this section joining the river to the main bike course was very rough and was more of a bike carry than rideable terrain. So I was pretty surprised and happy to be able to ride the technical, loose climbs and have fun on the descent to the main bike course. As I joined the bike course, a very fast Braden Currie came flying past on the bike, I attempted to jump on his wheel but after a couple of k's decided he was going too fast for me to be able to maintain and I slowly drifted off the back of his wheel. I spent most of the ride constantly looking over my shoulder expecting either Mitch or another Multisport competitor to come flying past me as I felt very slow along the course. Heading into the transition I was surprised to see Steve Gurney changing into his running gear. After he had disappeared off the front during the kayak with Gavin Mason I didn't expect to see him at all during the race as I knew he was also a good cyclist.

 

I had a good transition at this point and went in to the run in front of Gurney. I set off at a good pace and started powering up the hill feeling really good. By now the sun had come out and it was starting to get really hot. The heat and the ride before hand had really started to take it out of my legs and I began to struggle as I went over the top of the hill. As soon as the track turned downhill my legs cramped up and I was forced to a walk down the hill. The cramp slowly started to fade and I was able to pick up into a slow jog for the last 4km along the flat and through the last few river crossings. I heard a runner quickly catching up to me and I was disappointed to see Mitch come flying past me when I had just thought I may have actually held him off until the finish. Lesson learnt again, it's not over until it's over.



In the end I finshed 8th in Open Men and 9th Overall in a time of 6:10:29. Although a hard race (around 88km and 2000m of climbing), I think it was my best race yet, with some very fast people finishing just in front of me and the Legend Steve Gurney finishing just behind me. Another bonus was I also beat my Dad again, this time by 43 minutes compared to the 5 minutes at Coast to Coast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has