Skip to main content

National Multisport Age Group Champs

This year I finally made the trip up to Kaiteriteri for the Kaiteriteri Beach Adventure Race (KBAR) which doubles as the national multisport champs. KBAR is a well organised series of races over 2 days with multisport racing, a duathlon, a mountain bike race and a surf ski race to finish the weekend. The first event I raced in was the National Multisport Champs.

I went into the event fairly confident I would have a good race after the training I had put in for the Coast to Coast and having a relative strength in mountain biking which was a major discipline in this event. The first run was a 2.5km sprint around an estuary and over a small hill with around a 100m of vertical climbing, followed by a relatively technical descent to the beach.



After the descent it was then into the 8km kayak leg, 2x 4km laps of Kaiteriteri Beach to Ngaio Island. I had decided before the event I would use a surf ski as it would save me time in the transitions as I wouldn't have to use a spray deck or a PFD. Unfortunately I thought my kayaking ability was better than it actually is, with Richard Ussher arranging a Flow Kayaks Sharp ski for me to use. Although the day had resulted in a relatively calm sea I still found the swells pretty big for my ability and I wasn't able to paddle very strongly. It was frustrating for me to be passed by so many people in a section that I thought would have gone well for me. Atleast it reinforced the theory of don't try anything new on race day!


I couldn't wait to get off the ski and jump on my mountain bike. The mountain bike course was based in the Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park, a really fun 20km loop with plenty of switchbacks and fast descents to keep you smiling the entire way. During the climb to the top of the course I managed to catch a lot of people but didn't manage to gain anytime on the leaders. A fast descent followed with plenty of loose drifty corners and flowing single track back to the centre of town. Coming into the transition, several people were just leaving on to the next section, a 5km run made up of 2 laps of the initial run loop. This was a good sign for me as it meant I had gained a lot of time during the ride and had positioned myself back in the race, albeit further back than I had initially hoped I would be.


I quickly set in to a good pace on the run and started pulling in the people in front of me. I finished the first lap strongly and had just settled into the second lap when I had a medical issue. Fairly concerning as in 50m I went from running strongly to barely able to walk and breath, I still managed to finish though despite my dad telling me to stop. I wasnt giving up that close to the finish! In the end I finished 12th overall but 1st in my age group which meant I can now call myself the national multisport champ for my age group, 18-19 year olds.

Thanks to Richard for arranging a ski for me, Nathan for organising a great race and my dad for supporting me over the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue