Skip to main content

The Salmon Run

The inaugural Salmon Run multisport race was held on the 10th of October. Due to a change in work requirements, I was able to put in a last minute entry. I was super excited to be able to do a multisport race again as my last one was the Motatapu multisport race in March 2013! The event comprised of a 36k cycle, 1.5k run, 14k kayak and a 9.5k run to the finish.

Despite the last minute entry, my gear was quite possibly the most prepared I have ever been for an event, with the boys at Torpedo 7 Christchurch helping to get my bike race ready. Another bonus with the last minute entry was it allowed me to just relax and have fun racing as I hadn't specifically targeted it as a must do build up event. A few treats with some Pic's Peanut Butter and some Chocolate Milk is always a good start to the day as well ;)

The ride was overall slow but reasonably aggressive in nature, with the bunch seeming to never settle into a consistent pace as no one wanted to do too much work. Alex Nisbet managed to have a storming ride, escaping off the front right at the beginning and pulling 1:30 on the first bunch. I completed the ride in the first bunch but had managed to get a decent amount of fluid and food in, which for me is unusual during a race.


A slow transition into my running shoes and I was off down the hill towards my kayak. I had made the decision to use my running shoes in the boat as well so that meant I could save time in the next transitions not having to do a footwear change. Throwing the rest of my kayak gear on, I was off down the river.


The river section didn't go anywhere near as well for me as I expected, with my arms feeling heavy and my boat feeling tippy (too much time playing around in whitewater boats recently). The river was nice though with a few different line options at the beginning and a strong flow assisting against the head wind. I had the 5th fastest paddle of the day with strong paddlers Sam Goodall (Classic river race winner), Steve Gurney (does he need introduction?!), Ian Huntsman (what hasn't he won in the boat?) and Tim Pearson finishing just in front of me.

As the paddle finished I leaped out of the boat before my support crew even had the chance to help me. Stumbling over my gear as I tried to take it off as quickly as possible, I was off charging across the river bed on the final run leg. Unfortunately my idea of charging, and charging to a good runner is quite considerably different and Tane Cambridge came flying past on a mission. He would go on to run everyone down and win the event. In the mean time I managed to slowly pick off Gurney and Huntsman and continued trudging my way to the finish line. 


In the end I finished 4th Open Men and 7th Overall, however the race reflected the fact that my recent training hasn't quite been specific enough and although I've been working on my running, it still isn't quite up to the standard I want to be. I could come up with lots of excuses but at the end of the day I just wasn't good enough and now need to go away and put in the hard work to get to where I want to be.

Apart from a rogaine series over the next few weeks, November 21st is currently my next main event, just a marathon with 3600m vertical... should be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has