Skip to main content

Bog Roy Adventure Race 2017

After my last event being the Tekapo 10 hour many months ago it was good to get out racing again! Well sort of... sort of on the good part and the race part...

The South Canterbury Adventure Race has become a yearly event on my calendar and for good reason. Cheap entry, good food afterwards and quality company for 12 hours (give or take speed differences and navigation mishaps). This year was held on Bog Roy, Rostreiver and Otamatapaio stations near Otematata. I had been down there 2 weeks previously with RATS getting an alternative version of pre-race scouting which you can see here: https://clients.shanebriggs.photography/rats-nzrt1/ 

Overall I was looking forward to getting out again and getting a good training day in the legs with Rosey, especially after a great few hours riding on the Tekapo 10 hour course the day before (I can highly recommend this loop even if you aren't racing). 

Then morning hit. 


A thin layer of snow on top of mud to start the day

Normally a little bit of snow wouldn't worry me but I was feeling extremely unenthusiastic about 12 hours freezing my arse off in it. Fortunately the sun came out just before the start... for 10 minutes before deciding to snow even heavier. The knee deep river crossing at the start of our first bike leg didn't really help my enthusiasm either. After battling our way up the valley into a headwind and a strange mix of ice and sludge, I made the decision to skip one checkpoint and move on to the second bike loop (this would later turn out to be a good decision with us making 2 hours on teams that had decided to continue). 

From here on my memory of the race gets a bit blurry with flash backs of brutally long tows up steep climbs, pushing two bikes when I failed to tow right up the climb (or it got too steep) and some amateur navigation that I should have really known better. Throw in a few intervals since it was a training day, very limited food and drink (I should have known better), and the ever evolving Otago weather and you get the idea that I had a hard day. Atleast the snow had disappeared... for now. Oh and that was just during the bike leg which should have been my strength... 

Does my bum look big? 
Going into the trek I knew we had the time to get most of the controls thanks to a pretty good bike time but with having spent all year on a bike and not in running shoes, I wasn't really sure my legs would be capable of achieving it. Fortunately my body seemed to have forgotten this fact and I felt super strong, strong enough to once again put myself in the pain cave and tow Rosey straight up the hill. 

Atleast the view was good... temporarily
In a continuing theme for the day the clear skies decided to disappear and we soon found ourselves in snow once again. By now I was over being cold and fortunately Rosey was willing to call it a day as well. In the end we were out for just over 10 hours, finishing just before it went dark out.

So back to my original sentence "it was good to get out racing". In a masochistic way it was "good" how hard I had to push, setting new power pb's, and confirming my last 6 months of training is putting me in a good place for upcoming races. "Racing"... well while we didn't win, we couldn't really expect to when our goals were to just go out, have fun, and get some good training. Finishing mid field and having the fastest time for 11/15 checkpoints was a good result though considering our decisions to skip checkpoints and finish early. I think next year I might actually have to do some training as Rosey won't be allowing me to be soft and not do the whole thing! 

While my report is full of, lets face it, complaining. You can head over to Rosey's report and get an idea of what the race was like from her point of view: https://rosey-acker.blogspot.co.nz/2017/09/adventure-racing-rookie-adventures-with.html 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Kayak Krazy 10km Series- Arawa

 After spotting this event on the CRNZ website I knew I had to add it to the calendar. While paddlers (especially multisporters) seem to avoid any form of flatwater racing, they are a brilliant way to track your performance over time as there is typically less external factors that can impact results such as flow rate or different line choices like on a river. While the Avon isn’t exactly the best example of this due to being tidal, timed efforts can still be performed reasonably consistently on an out and back course. Adding in tactical elements and the lost art of wash riding, and flatwater racing is actually quite fun and provides an interesting challenge compared to river racing. I’m always disappointed to see paddlers pull out or not enter events because it’s a flatwater race or the B course is on flatwater. You were going to be racing that day anyway, get out there and race! While talking about things that are disappointing, it’s pretty disappointing that a national series has

Racing, Life, and Rediscovering Passions 2.0

Funnily enough I started off the last post on here with the following passage; “As most of you will have noticed, I’ve been rather quiet on the race/blog front recently. In typical me fashion, I got injured. Again! But this update is going to be a wee bit different to anything I have done in the past. It is going to be a review of the last year, relating to work, racing, life, and rediscovering my passions. I apologise in advance if any of you fall asleep while reading this, I have discovered that putting my thoughts on paper (or in this case online document) is a valuable tool to remind myself of lessons learnt through either success or failure, and ensure I keep moving forward. As someone far wiser than me once said, “don’t bury your failures, let them inspire you!” Annnnnnnd guess what… I did get injured… again. And just like the last post, I started a new job a year ago as well. This time though I finally followed my heart and took a step towards my dream of working on a rescue