Skip to main content

New season, new bike, new motivation

With less than 4 weeks to go until the start of the 10/12 hour race season, it seems perfect timing to reveal my new bike.

2018 Specialized S-Works Epic

I'm super stoked to announce Chain Reaction Cycles have jumped on board to help support me and have given me the opportunity to be a Specialized ambassador. Based on my first ride, I'm incredibly motivated to get out there and achieve the results I know I'm capable of, the bike certainly won't be holding me back!

After much deliberation on what bike to get (Rosey can attest to this), I decided to get the 2018 Specialized S-Works Epic frameset in a stunning charcoal tint. The paint job really shines in person thanks to a healthy amount of glitter through out #sparklewatts. While I have a focus of 10/12/24 hour events, I am off for a multiday stage race in Nepal in February and as such I wanted the bike to be built with quality, durable, reliable parts. We selected Shimano xt brakes matched to a xt/xtr drivetrain with the exception of my Quarq power meter cranks. I've always been a fan of Shimano products thanks to their durability and figured if anything was to go wrong in Nepal, I'm probably more likely to find replacement parts which will work. The bike was then finished off with S-Works parts throughout and a Rockshox Sid World Cup (included with the frameset).

I just need to keep it this shiny!

I've been fortunate enough to ride a lot of nice bikes over the years however my first ride on the new 2018 S-Works Epic blew me away. In fact it blew away my previous pb on my time trial course by quite a substantial margin. Without sounding too cheesy, the new Epic is epic. The bike seems to have an ability to give you a boost at every point on the trail and there were several moments where I found myself carrying far more speed than I am used to for that section. The Brain 2.0 is buttery smooth and the added efficiency definitely contributed to the gain in speed. It's not often you smile during an effort like a time trial but this bike achieved one! I'm actually looking forward to the McLeans Island 10 hour again as it will be the perfect opportunity to really get used to this bike (that plus they just announced a nice amount of prize money).

A paint job so nice I almost didn't want to get it muddy!
 If you are sitting on the fence about buying a new bike for the summer I would highly recommend heading on down to your local Specialized dealer (ideally Chain Reaction 😉) and trying out the new Epic. Once word gets out about how good they are, they will sell out fast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Multisport Age Group Champs

This year I finally made the trip up to Kaiteriteri for the Kaiteriteri Beach Adventure Race (KBAR) which doubles as the national multisport champs. KBAR is a well organised series of races over 2 days with multisport racing, a duathlon, a mountain bike race and a surf ski race to finish the weekend. The first event I raced in was the National Multisport Champs. I went into the event fairly confident I would have a good race after the training I had put in for the Coast to Coast and having a relative strength in mountain biking which was a major discipline in this event. The first run was a 2.5km sprint around an estuary and over a small hill with around a 100m of vertical climbing, followed by a relatively technical descent to the beach. After the descent it was then into the 8km kayak leg, 2x 4km laps of Kaiteriteri Beach to Ngaio Island. I had decided before the event I would use a surf ski as it would save me time in the transitions as I wouldn't have to use a spray dec

Topsport Prologue Series #1

 With my K2 partner heading to South Africa to see family and do some racing (lucky bastard), I finally lined up at a major race as a solo competitor. With hand surgery in a couple of weeks potentially wiping out the next few months of races, I wasn't sure whether I'd even bother to enter this race but the racing bug bit hard!  While it was a warm morning, the wind was blowing hard! It was enough to make me slightly concerned about parts of the course, so I felt pretty bad for the novices, they were certainly in for a wake up call on what the Waimak can be like on race day! In the wind storm that was the 2011 Coast to Coast, I had managed to get to Woodstock dry, before swimming many many times in this final 15km due to the wind. There's really only two strategies for wind, paddle at the speed of it (or faster) so it doesn't impact you, or be at the heavier end of the scale so it doesn't affect you as badly. Unfortunately most of the time both of these strategies ar

Motivation from setback

 The last time I wrote on here I was just about to go into a hand operation to sort out my dexterity issue after breaking it earlier in the year. At the time I stated I felt like I was capable of more but unfortunately may not get a chance to prove it for awhile. I never expected what the next 12 months would bring, and to be honest, despite the further injuries and setbacks, I'm not sure I would change a thing.  So what have the last 12 months involved?  A few months recovery and physio from hand surgery That classic thing called covid and its impacts And a little slip on ice resulting in fractures to my T6/7 and a seizure... It's definitely not all bad though. I'm now working as the Christchurch station manager for St John Ambulance. I've joined the committee of Arawa Canoe Club as the race coordinator. I've organised 28 kayak events with all proceeds going towards supporting juniors (and another 7 events planned between now and Christmas). I've also received